Monday, May 26, 2014

Fresh and Bright Kitchen Accents

I firmly believe in the power of attraction. You put it out there and with some perserverence and patience, it will manifest. With that in mind, I will direct my energies toward gathering some items to further spruce up the overall feeling of our kitchen. Now that the cupboards are painted, my kitchen feels very blue. My plan is to add some yellow contrast, bright white to lighten it up  and some natural shapes to bring the outside indoors. I found a few inspiration pieces, some within my means and couple that are priced waaay over my budget. So, looks like I've got some DIY projects and thrift store hunting in my future to create some style for a steal.

source
The gray and yellow rug has a simple but organic pattern that I just love. I'm hoping to find a gray rug which I can paint to look something like this one, but with my own personal flare. 

source
The canary yellow mirror is a planned garage sale score or thrift DIY. The final one won't look exactly like this one, but I gotta put the idea out there before I can find what I'm looking for. 

source
I see owls as creatures of wisdom and focus. Just what i need: wisdom for deciding which of the never ending kitchen chores needs done at the moment and focus for actually following through.  I've never had a full-blown "thing" for owls, but this guy could be the start something beautiful; I can see him sitting on my counter as a cute dish soap dispenser pump.

source
I've never had cafe curtains, but I think our kitchen window is a great candidate for a valance and a couple of tiers.  The singlular window in the room happens to be right next to the main door to our apartment building and people walk by it / can see into it more closely than any other window in our apartment. So, I feel a little too exposed to draw up the blinds all the way and let in the unadulterated fresh air and the curious eyes of people passing by. I'm aching to let in some more light and frame the beautiful view of the tree outside rather than obscure it with blinds. These curtains are more modern in style than a lot of the other options. I like the crisp clean feeling of the straight edges and the white will brighten up the light coming in. The thing I like most about this style of curtain is that the view from the bottom part of the window can be covered when I'm, ahem, not. No neighborly peep shows, but I still get to see the tree outside. Perfect.  

source
To tie it all together, these geometric tea towels would be perfect for drying off hands and soaking up water from the counter after a quick dish washing session.  I like the re-usable nature of the dish/tea towels. We've always used cloth towels like this in the kitchen, along with paper towels. Using cloth towels really cuts down on waste, but there are occasionally messes around here that I wouldn't want to use a dish towel for (for example, dog pukie) This gets me thinking I should designate a set of yuckie clean-up rags! I've got burp rags and dish towels, so why not? Hmm... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment...